Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Weather Channel


So here is image number two in the early visual journey of my Book Passages series. For those of you new to this site please refer to the blog entry What Have You Read Lately (Feb 3) for more information on this concept.

The concept for this image came from a contribution from a co-worker. Tea writes,

Hi Bill,

I don't know if this counts or not, but I'm reading "Defining the Wind" by Scott Huler - It's about the Beaufort Scale, so my descriptive passage is the Beaufort Scale itself.

I didn't research the book to find out how it was written or to find out in what context Scott Huler referenced the Beaufort Scale. Since I didn't even know what the Beaufort Scale was I did have to Google it to find out. This is my interpretation of the scale and wind in particular. I'm happy with how it turned out. I think that the interpretation keeps with my style of photography and with my sense of humor. I would love to hear what you have to say. Please leave your comments they make all the difference getting a feel for how the audience is responding to the visuals.

The next passage that I will interpret is from Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being submitted by Frieda Babbley.

Toilets in modern water closets rise up from the floor like white water lilies. The architect does all he can to make the body forget how paltry it is, and to make man ignore what happens to his intestinal wastes after the water from the tank flushes them down the drain. Even though the sewer pipelines reach far into our houses with their tentacles, they are carefully hidden from view, and we are happily ignorant of the invisible Venice of shit underlying our bathrooms, bedrooms, dance halls, and parliaments.

I will be picking up my free toilet that I found on Craigslist on Friday. Then may the shit, I mean creativity flow.

5 comments:

Frieda Babbley said...

I love the title! I am assuming the photo itself represents zero, with moderate transitions into one when he reaches for his drink or food. Fabulous. I can't stop staring at it. It's a very interactive piece. I feel very aware that it is a captured moment, it's so still though that I feel like if I keep looking at it something is going to move slighty, if this makes sense.

William Zuback said...

I like your observations. I'm not sure if you posted before I changed the title to "The Weather Channel"? My wife thought, and I agree, that there is alot of subtle things happening in this image and the size it appears on the blog makes it hard to fully appreciate it. So I helped a little by changing the name. Both titles can work though and I really don't have a preference. Your thoughts are valued and much appreciated. Thanks.

Frieda Babbley said...

You know, I'm not sure if the first time I came to check it out it was titles The Weather Channel. But I do know that I noticed it when I commented last, and in fact it enhanced what I was going to say. What had you titled it the first time?

William Zuback said...

Blow'in in the Wind.

Frieda Babbley said...

Ah, yes. I remember. At first it threw me off. Then I thought, how absolutely funny. I like The Weather Chanel title though because it allows for a wider variety of interpretation. Maybe? And yea, I think you're right about the size. But I clicked on the photo and it was much clearer so that was the image I was looking at mostly.