Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Girls in Their Summer Dresses, Irwin Shaw

Below are the three variations that I create for chapter six of my Book Passages Series. This passage provided me with many challenges but in the end I am extremely pleased with the results. I have my favorite but what do you think? Please comment on the images below and vote in the poll at the top right corner of the blog. Thanks for your patience with the long wait for this visual interpretation but I do think it was worth it. Enjoy, vote, and most of all - give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The Girls in Their Summer Dresses by:Irwin Shaw

"Go ahead", Frances said.

When I think of New York City, I think of all the girls, the Jewish girls, the Italian girls, the Irish, Pollack, Chinese, German, Negro, Spanish, Russian girls, all on parade in the city. I don't know whether it's something special with me or whether every man in the city walks around with the same feeling inside him, but I feel as though I'm at a picnic in this city. I like to sit near the women in the theaters, the famous beauties who've taken six hours to get ready and look it. And the young girls at the football games, with the red cheeks, and when the warm weather comes, the girls in their summer dresses..." He finished his drink. "That's the story. You asked for it, remember. I can't help but look at them. I can't help but want them."

6 comments:

Frieda Babbley said...

I can't help but look is definitely my favorite! Hands down. The expression on his face. The whole set up. Love it.

William Zuback said...

Yes. I really like that one too. I am torn though between that one and "The Girls in their Summer Dresses". What I like about that one is the anonymity of the two individuals. I like not really putting a face to the character so that the viewer can become the voyeur. This will be a tough decision which one I choose to put into the final exhibit.

Jay said...

I can't be impartial on this one because I was in it, but here goes anyway. I like "I can't help but look". It really has this eerie feeling to it with the way you set up the whole composition as well as a cool idea. Feels much darker in nature than "The Girls in their Summer Dresses". I like that, it's
disturbing and pulls me in. It's a tough one. The Girls... is more innocent and that I like too.

William Zuback said...

It is a tough one. I think the comments that Bill Schulman left on all the images are all great points and give merit to each of the three images.

William Zuback said...

Jay, I must also commend you and Debbie for being such good sports and terrific models. You can pull off "Creepy" so well juxtaposed to Debbie's innocence.

Valerie said...

Oh!! It's nice!! I have done my summer dresses shopping from aa... I got cool stuff form American Eagle Outfitters...