Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Blinded by the Light

Welcome to Chapter 17 of my Book Passages series. This image is an interpretation of a passage from a yet untitled novel by Mary Dally-Muenzmaier. Mary is the voice behind the words at a wonderful news and review blog for art and culture in Milwaukee called Crickettoes. From the brief passage that she provided to me for my Book Passages series I cannot wait to someday read her finished novel. Until then, we have this brief passage and my accompanying images. Enjoy and always think and act by sharing your thoughts on the images. Some behind the scenes images are also available by stylist Addie Kidd. Thanks to both Addie and model Kristin Sutter for creating such an enjoyable photo shoot.

"Untitled Novel" by Mary Dally-Muenzmaier:

"There are some who view the world through a very small lens and though they live in three dimensions they perceive only two. Armed with this outlook, they operate daily with a fundamental conviction that all that exists does so solely in relation to their own existence and all that happens serves a purpose of meaning.

She is not a small lens viewer, but lying there on the floor, unaware of her surroundings, her subconscious mind begins to replay a scene from her childhood. It was a time long before she had wholly grasped the truth that she was just one on a planet populated by billions, before she had fully realized that the culture she was growing in was just one in an enormous, divergent sea of traditions and beliefs. It was a time when her lens was very, very small and she needs to be back there again, if only for a moment.




7 comments:

Mary Dally-Muenzmaier said...

Holy View Master, Bill! These photos are truly amazing--far beyond what I'd hoped for my little passage, not that I doubted your talent for a millisecond. :)

I'm torn. Not sure which one I prefer. I really like the way Kristin seems to be totally engrossed in what she viewing in the first photo. It feels more in sync with the passage, as opposed to the second where she emanates a slight nostalgia and has a softer quality about her. I also like her direct gaze in the third photo, but it may be a bit too direct, as if she issuing a challenge to the viewer and is ultimately aware of her surroundings.

Okay, so I guess I'll throw my vote behind number one, but I open the floor for all to chime in.

Thank you so much, Bill!

Mary

Frieda Babbley said...

I am in awe of these. Mesmerizing. I love them. The third photo is my favorite. And the viewfinder is so perfect. Excellent.

pcurtindelker said...

Are we supposed to chose, or are all three to be considered together? If we are to chose, I am partial to the first, it seems more subtle than the others, and I like that "crime" is more obscured. I am always curious to see what you create for these passages as I think it's quite a difficult task you've given yourself...how close to stay to the exact text, what sort of narrative to project, etc. (Incidentally, this one projects a lot of narrative I think). It also feels like you've gotten more confident as you've worked through the passages. This one has a substantial "film noir" feel to it...maybe that's an area you should investigate after the passages are done....

Anonymous said...

Again, these are very evocative photos. I personally think that the first one hits the tone of the passage the best. The one on the bottom is sexy, but doesn't have the introspective, escapist tone of the prose. The middle one is great, but the top one seems a little more innocent, I guess because she doesn't have blonde hair. The blonde hair seems to have a "Mulholland Drive" or "Black Dahlia" type feel to it. The indolent starlet. It also seems like the middle one is dressed up more, like for a fancy occasion. The top one seems to be in a retro dress that isn't as showy. Love the shoe details. JB

William Zuback said...

Thanks for the very thought out comments. I appreciate your points of view. It ALWAYS fascinates me to see through the eyes of the people viewing the work. Patricia, thanks for joining in on the conversation. I too am gravitating toward the top image. I don't know if it was me, the environment, or my mood but I found this passage to speak to me on many levels. So as I styled the photo I wanted to comment on how our society thinks and views the world not only two dimensionally but often in only one dimension. I did think of this passage in a film noir style to provide a sense of the dramatic while keeping it playful.

Anonymous said...

I am drawn in by the polka dot dress as a repeat of the viewfinder's individual views on each of the six viewing cards lying about. Her eye intensity to the viewer , the cradling arms, the outstretched toes probably a size six shoe ? The slice of light that she lies in as it shafts into the darkness emphasizing space, and thus time to an imminent future. Great story telling! BS

Naomi said...

This series is so challenging; lots of details but I I'm still confused (unless that is the effect you're going for?). The middle shot is intriguing, looks very wedding-ish. I'm not sure what to make of the man's jacket. Or the suitcase — because that suggests she's broadening her view. Or is it that the man is leaving her? And maybe she's not even aware of that? So many elements. One last thing: I like the "lack of awareness" theme and the Fox News screen.